(Hex Editor and Disk Editor)
Release: April 25, 2008
OS: Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003 or Vista
Download file size: 843 kB (setup), 798 kB (portable)
HxD is a carefully designed and fast hex editor including raw disk editing, modifying foreign RAM and handling files of any size.
Its clear interface offers searching/replacing, exporting, checksums/digests, insertion of byte patterns, a file shredder, concatenation or splitting of files, statistics and more.
Editing works like in a text editor with functions streamlined to hide differences that are purely technical.
For example you can view a drive just as one stream, can open it under Windows 9x or Windows NT+, undo, search, save, export or whatever you could do with a file. There is no sector-limited editing that gets in your way.
The same holds true for the file size (also > 4 GB), which doesn't affect editing speed and still supports undo. Or have a look at the RAM-editor that supports data-folding on every memory section and hides by default inaccessible memory, for a better overview but keeps the real offsets.
- Available in a portable and installable edition
- Instant opening regardless of file-size (>4GB is no problem: opening, editing are very fast)
- Files opened in HxD are shared liberally but safely with other applications
- Fast searching: forward, backwards or from beginning
- Replace function (fast even for millions of edits)
- Search and replace support Unicode, Ansi-text and Hex-values
- Disk-Editor: RAW reading and writing of disks and drives (hard disks, floppy disks, USB-disks, CD-ROM, ...) for Win9x, WinNT and higher
- RAM-Editor: can read and write virtual memory of other processes
- Data-folding for better overview in RAM-Editor
- Exporting of data to source code (Pascal, C, Java) or as formatted output (plain text, HTML, Richtext, TeX) or to hex formats:
Motorola S19 Records, Motorola S28 Records, Motorola S37 Records, 16 Bit Intel Hex, 20 Bit Intel Hex, 32 Bit Intel Hex
- Checksum-Generator: Checksum-8, Checksum-16, Checksum-24, Checksum-32, CRC-16, CRC-16 CCITT, CRC-32, Custom CRC, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, MD-2, MD-4, MD5
- Insertion of byte patterns
- File shredder for safe file deletion
- Splitting or concatenating of files
- File compare (simple)
- Statistical view: Graphical representation of the character distribution. Helps to identify the data-type of a selection.
- Support for ANSI, DOS/IBM-ASCII, EBCDIC and Macintosh charsets
- Byte grouping (1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 bytes packed together in one column)
- Hex only or text only mode
- Progress-window displays on long time operations (shows remaining time and has a cancel-button)
- Unlimited undo
- Modified data is highlighted
- Internet update checker
- Easy to use interface with modern icons
- Ghost caret: displayed around the corresponding character/hex value on the inactive column, the caret is placed on the active column
- Goto address
- Overwrite or Insert Mode
- Cut, Copy, Paste Insert, Paste Write
- Clipboard support for other hex editors (Visual Studio/Visual C++, WinHex, HexWorkshop, ...)
- Bookmarks: Ctrl+Shift+Number(0-9) sets a bookmark, Ctrl+Number(0-9) goes to a bookmark
- Navigating to nibbles with Ctrl+Left or Ctrl+Right
- Flicker free display and fast drawing